Casa Baracca - The Museum - Museo Francesco Baracca - Comune di Lugo

Skip to main content

Casa Baracca - The Museum


Reconstructed in 1916 but probably dating back to the second half of the nineteenth century, the house belonged to the Baracca family until 1951, when it was given to the municipality of Lugo following the wishes expressed in the will of Count Enrico Baracca, father of Francesco, that it be used as a museum.
The inscription in marble on the front of the building confirms that this is the birth house of the First World War ace, despite various sources which refer to the nearby locality of San Potito, the location of one of the agricultural estates of the Baracca family.
The building housed the middle school “Silvestro Gherardi” until the mid-Seventies. It was then occupied by various associations, the Resistance Museum, and finally Francesco Baracca Museum since the 20th of June 1993, following the transfer of the museum from its original location in the Estense fortress.
The façade is an example of twentieth century eclecticism, to which decorative elements in the floral style of the beginning of the century have been added.
Various vintage glass doors and elegant wooden furnishings by the sculptor Antonio Turri (Lugo 1872-1932) have been conserved inside the building, as well as pastels and frescoes on the main ceilings by the artist Domenico Pasi (Lugo 1892 - 1923).

Established by the municipality of Lugo in 1926 and located in a room at the entrance of the Estense fortress until 1990, the Francesco Baracca museum was transferred to the birth house of the Italian aviation pioneer in 1993, in keeping with the wishes expressed in the will of his father, the count Enrico.
From June 1993 to April 1999, the Museum, which works closely with the “Friends of the Baracca Museum” association, housed a first section on the ground floor only, with the aeroplane and various mementoes. The works, which began in 1999, allowed a consolidation of the building, particularly the roof and the façade. The architectural barriers were pulled down and a lift put in to connect the three floors of the building, which was rebuilt in Liberty style at the beginning of the twentieth century. These works, which required the building to close for two years, doubled the exhibition area of the Museum, which was finally able to house a large number of mementoes, furnishings and documents, and provide suitable facilities for a rich cultural heritage, making various materials available to the public which had never been exhibited before.
The acquisition of the final floor, in 2006, allowed all the relics on Francesco Baracca to be included in the exhibition.
The Museum is the starting point of a city tour which includes the Monument, designed and completed in 1936 by the Faenza sculptor Domenico Rambelli, declared one of the best expressions of twentieth century Italian sculpture, and the Burial Chapel, decorated by the artist Roberto Sella of Lugo, located in the town cemetery, inside which you can admire the majestic sarcophagus cast using the bronze of the Austrian cannons from the Kras region.